The Cage's World
Copertina (116 kb) The Cage (56 kb) Retro CD (160 kb)
CD (63 kb) Pagina 1 (62 kb)
Pagina 2 (142 kb) Pagina 3 (119 kb)
Pagina 4 (91 kb) Pagina 5 (101 kb)

Draw 1 Draw 2 Draw 3

Download the free plugins "SmoothMove", and explore "The Cage" in real tim


Visit the designer's Home Page:

The graphic arts, the genesis of a project.

In August 1998 I undertook this project, that devoted me for about three months, Although the album had arrived to the end of the production, at that time no distributor was here yet, so we did not know when it would come out. Nevertheless I did my best to realize the cover as if were a personal project.
At first the scene was conceived in a different way: a guitar inside a cage, in the middle of a science fiction laboratory. Both the former and the latter should look older, out of context and in an alien and metallic environment as the one in the laboratory.
After the realization of some sketches in plan and in section of the laboratory, I was about to do the first preliminary test, but I soon realized that that kind of environment was not suitable for the cover of a CD; besides, I could not "feel" emotionally the scene, which made the creative process difficult; another kind of stage was necessary, maybe with a vertical development without volumetric limits upwards and downwards. Some time ago I was to try a personal achievement, that had as protagonist an alien temple whose peculiarities were very similar to the ones of the film Alien; in fact I had the intention to draw inspiration from the bio-mechanics themes, characteristic of the graphic designer H.R. Giger.
Then I thought that it would be the ideal approach for "The Cage", and I saw before my eyes the achieved project; maybe this is the first time that the final result is the perfect materialization of the original idea.
I began to jot down the first sketches that allowed me to start the modelling of the scene. Obviously LightWave was the right candidate.
In parallel I had to define the material that made the whole scene characteristic: I needed to get a metallic look of the surface without using reflecting materials, almost by accident I managed to do at once what I wanted.
I realized all the patterns for the mapping using Personal Paint 7 by Cloanto on Amiga; for the hall arches of the tunnel I used as reference the scanning of hand-made drawing, which I used for the modelling too.
As the project developed, I realized that I needed some effects which I could realize in the volumetric rendering engine of LightWave 5.5: making the same things in a different way would have made me waste my time and the result wouldn't have been the same. Moreover, I had to consider to deal with the high number of polygons that the scene could reach, besides the great number of calculation to render the surfaces treated with fractal textures, and with thick patterns for the for the bump mapping that took the whole sight.
A t the beginning I decided to set the scene with the help of Amiga 4000, making tempts on limited areas, and after proceding with more complete tests on PC 133 of my office, but even in this way the success of the work was compromised by the long waiting times that were necessary to Amiga 4000 to complete even little attempts; this would have forced me to make compromises not to inflate in a excessive way the time of production. So I decided that I needed to pass on to more productive hardware and software, therefore I equippedmysel with a more popwerful machine and I upgraded LightWave to the last version.
The first attempts of rendering of the altar in the middle of the scene excited the customer for the choice both of material and shapes, so I quickly procedeed following the way just undertaken for the preparation of the scene.
Once the scene was composed according to the project, I had to realised a set of light that would create the right atmosphere, working at the same time on the volumetric effects of the smoke and of the source of light.
Later on I had to improve the materials complying with the lightning of the set, and adding step by step new object and details not to make the environment too barren.
The drape that partially hides the guitar was one of the last ideas together with the discharges of energy that hit the cage. The last improvements and adjustment took me time, patience and a certain effort again, because I had to analyse the work done, because I had to analyze the work done done until then i a objective way.
The internal pages of the booklet have been created in a week, taking back partially the oroginal idea of the laboratory but keeping the style of the cover.
Here some numbers to give you an idea of the size of the work:

81 objects
173855 points
167983 polygons
71 materials
18 hand made images
56 light sources of which 37 volumetric and 6 with lens flares effect.


DB Line Italia




NewTek's LightWave Distributore italiano di LightWave Distributore italiano di LightWave

© Copyright 1998 Davide Bigazzi & Dario Mollo, all rights reserved.